Michelle Mays, author of The Betrayal Bind: How to Heal When the Person You Love the Most Hurts You the Worst, joins Kate Anthony on the Divorce Survival Guide Podcast for an in-depth conversation about healing from betrayal.
“Divorce is common, and cheating is common. Because they are common, it doesn’t mean they’re not tremendously significant and have enormous ramifications for our mental and physical health,” says Michelle. During our conversation, we discuss the importance of understanding what happened, explore betrayal through the lens of attachment systems, and unravel what happens to us when we experience this enormous injury.”
Featured topics include:
- A new attachment-based model for understanding the impacts of cheating in relationships (8:58)
- Some of the binds in relationships that we can get stuck in including the shame bind and relational binds (12:01)
- What gets in the way of leaving when we want or know we need to leave (35:43)
- Healing and repairing relationships: what it means to stay, and what it takes to repair the fractures betrayal has caused (45:02)
- The difference between rebuilding emotional connection and rebuilding sexual connection (50:21)
Michelle Mays is a Licensed Professional Counselor and expert in treating sexual betrayal and trauma. She’s also the author of the new book The Betrayal Bind: How to Heal When the Person You Love the Most Has Hurt You the Worst. Michelle has created a new treatment model to address the devastating dilemma that betrayed partners face when their significant other is unsafe to connect to, yet connection is the key to healing.